Thursday, October 14, 2010

Peppery Pork Roast

I thought I would post one of my favorite recipes since pork loin is on sale at Smiths this week. Enjoy!

Pepper Pork Roast
2 med. onions sliced
2 T canola oil
4 lbs pork loin (I've used both pork loin and pork roast)
salt and pepper
3 cloves
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 (12 oz) can Dr. Pepper
1.5 cups dried apricot halves
1.5 cups pitted prunes
  • Slice onions and place in slow cooker
  • Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat
  • Season pork with salt and pepper, then brown all sides in skillet
  • Place browned pork on top of onions in slow cooker
  • Add cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf to cooker
  • Pour Dr. Pepper over pork and top with dried fruit
  • Cover and cook 3-4 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low
  • Ensure pork is 160 degrees
  • Remove pork from cooker after it's done
  • Use a slotted spoon to remove onion, fruit and spices
  • Discard whole spices
  • Skim any grease from sauce
  • Slice pork (it falls apart!) and serve with onions, fruit and sauce!
I also like to serve the pork over brown rice or mashed potatoes

2 comments:

  1. I love a new recipe, this sounds great! I might have to try it with the pork loin I bought. Thanks for thinking of your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen, This is Heather Morrison. Sorry I have been so MIA recently. My mom took a turn for the worse this summer and then passed away on the 28th of September. I am just trying to survive day to day. Did I read right that you moved to house? I am excited for you if you did and if not I am praying you do soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...